Archiware P5 Version 6.1
Find all relevant information and links
Enhanced LTFS support with P5 Archive
With the release of version 6.1, Archiware has created an entirely new cross-platform LTFS driver that brings features and convenience not seen before with LTFS software products. Archiware's new approach removes the need for the open-source 'FUSE' software used by competitive products, allowing direct control of the tape media, while maintaining full ISO/IEC compatibility.
LTFS formatted LTO tapes are now supported by the P5 Archive module. Users wishing to archive data to tape, with full indexing, searching, thumbnail generation and meta-data ingest, can now choose between two different tape formats:
P5 volume format
- Supported for 20 years across thousands of P5 installations, compatibility across all P5 supported platforms, support for block-level cloning, parallel writing across multiple tape drives, data-compression/encryption and free from character set limitations for file/folder names.
LTFS volume format
- Open standard (ISO/IEC 20919:2016) and manufacturer-independent tape format, compatible across all P5 supported platforms (macOS, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD) and also with other LTFS software tools for software-independent restore of data.
LTFS formatted LTO tapes are now supported by the P5 Archive module.
Both formats support spanning of large files across tapes. When a storage pool is created for archiving, there is now an option to choose between the 'P5 Native' and LTFS formats. Volumes can be formatted as LTFS by labelling, in single drives or libraries.
Existing native pools and LTO volumes will continue to work in combination with LTFS volumes. LTFS is a useful option where interoperability with non-Archiware systems is required.
Important Note: The LTFS Import/Export feature, which is independent of the new LTFS functionality described above, is supported only on macOS and Linux in the 6.1.0 release.
P5 COMPANION APP
The desktop application for macOS, Windows and Linux is updated to support archiving of individual files, selectable archive plan from drop-down menu, and various UI tweaks to make it easier to use.
For users of the P5 Archive App (now discontinued), the P5 Companion now supports stub files created by this application and can restore them.
Poster-frame for video previews
- P5 Archive will now automatically capture a poster-frame thumbnail when archiving video files, using FFmpeg. The poster frame will be displayed in the grid/thumbnail view and upon double-clicking, the video proxy itself can be played back.
Built-in FFmpeg & ImageMagick
- A P5 installation now includes both of these open-source tools for creation of video and graphic previews, manual download and installation of these open-source tools is no longer required. If a custom installation is required, including plug-ins or extensions, an external installation can be performed and used by P5.
Capture of poster-frames when archiving video files.
Merge multiple source folders into one destination folder
For ease of organising the layout of multiple source folders copied to a single target directory within a single Sync plan. It is now possible to specify how much of the original source path is created in the target directory.
This is achieved by including a dot in the source path. Creating multiple Sync plans to achieve this is no longer required. The default behaviour does not change, which is to append the entire source path at the target location.
For example, take these two data folders:
If we sync both to the target destination folder:
We would see these two folders created at the destination:
In 6.1, the inclusion of a dot in the path gives more explicit control. For example if we modify the source folders in the sync plan (not on the filesystem) as follows and sync to the same location:
Then we would see these folders created at the destination. The path elements before the dot are excluded at the destination:
This advanced option could be used with care to avoid directories 'colliding' at the target. Source paths with and without dots can be combined within the same sync plan if needed.
A crucial feature for media customers who require maximum data security and accuracy, a checksum is automatically created while reading each file from the source, and also whilst writing to the destination.
These are verified to match. The checksum is also stored as an extended attribute within the destination file, for interrogation by other workflow tools, if needed.
Checksum verification in P5 Synchronize.
Updating P5 in the browser
P5 software updates can now be installed directly from the web-admin interface on macOS and Linux installations. This is particularly useful for remote systems, such as Amazon EC2 instances, where updating can be complex. A simple click checks for newer versions on Archiware's servers, downloads and installs and restarts.
This update feature is provided only for platforms that do not maintain their own software registry that includes P5. Both Windows and NAS systems such as QNAP, Synology and ReadyNAS include their own package manager.
Updating Archiware P5 in the browser.
Optimized volume management for cloud storage
Storage management of the staging areas has been optimized. The storage size of the staging area can be considerably smaller, since the chunks necessary for the restore are deleted immediately after use.
Requirements - Archiware P5 Version 6.1
Operating System Requirements
Intel x86 (64-Bit)
Important note for macOS Mojave 10.14+:
Intel x86 64-Bit systems with glibc version 2.15 are supported, including:
For B2G repository on btrfs, btrfs 0.19+ is required
DSM operating system 5.2 - 6 Intel
|NETGEAR||ReadyNAS OS 6.6.0 +
Intel x86 64-Bit CPU
|Virtualization||x86 – VMware, Parallels, Linux-Xen, Hyper-V|
Operating Systems in Client-Only Mode
|Solaris||Solaris 10 1/13 s10x_u11wos_24a X86
Note: Language package Unicode UTF-8 required; Cloud services not supported
client-only mode as of version 5.6.2
(See "Discontinuations" for details)
|Memory||2 GB+ available|
|Hard disk||1 GB for Installation + variable
(for backup/archive indexes)
Compatibilites - Archiware P5 Version 6.1
Supported Tape Technologies
- LTO-1, LTO-2, LTO-3, LTO-4, LTO-5, LTO-6, LTO-7, LTO-8
- S-AIT 1, 2, 3, 4
- AIT 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- VXA (on request)
- Direct attached storage (DAS)
- MetaSAN 220.127.116.11 (Windows/Linux supported from 18.104.22.168)
- QNAP NAS
- Removable Disk (RDX QuikStor)
- Scale Logic
- Storage area network (SAN)
- Synology NAS (as of P5 Version 5.3.3)
- Tiger Store
- Vtrak FS
Proprietary File Systems
- Helios (UB, UB+, UB2, UB64)
- Xinet V14
- Netatalk 2
Supported Cloud Services
- Amazon S3
- Amazon Snowball
- Amazon Glacier
- Generic S3
- Microsoft Azure
- Backblaze B2
- Google Cloud Storage
- Wasabi Cloud Storage
Supported platforms include macOS X, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, QNAP, Synology, and NETGEAR
Cloud Object Storage Classes
- Amazon S3: S3 Standard, S3 Intelligent-Tiering, S3 Standard-IA, S3 One Zone-IA
- Amazon Glacier: Standard, Deep Archive
- Google: Standard, Nearline, Coldline
- Microsoft Azure: Standard Hot, Cool
- Final Cut Server
- Canto Cumulus
- cavok (Peak-14)
- DALIM ES
- empress eMAM
- FocalPoint Server
- KeyFlow ADAMS
- Primestream FORK
- Projective Strawberry
Supported Tape Library Vendors
- Spectra Logic
Supported Hardware Manufacturers
- Bright Technologies Astella
- Drobo (as a disk)
- FAST LTA
- Object Matrix
- QNAP (as of P5 version 5.5.3)
- Scale Logic
- Spectra Logic
- Synology (as of P5 Version 5.3.3)
- ToolsOnAir just:store
Important Notes for Upgrading to P5 Version 6.x
1. New user and group administration
In previous versions of P5, the user and password were authenticated by the operating system. As of version 6, authentication takes place against users and passwords stored in the P5 configuration. Therefore passwords must be set within the P5 administration after an upgrade.
- The new 'admin' account
If it doesn't already exist, a user named 'admin' with password 'admin' is added following an upgrade to version 6. The login screen prompts to use this account initially. New installations also include this 'admin' user. Logging in as 'admin' allows creation of new users and groups.
Change this default password directly after the update. Within the P5 admin GUI, you can change the password for the current user via the 'P5' menu - top right.
- Passwords for existing users
All users already created in version 5.x are still available after updating to version 6. Any username previously used to login will have been added to the user list. Passwords for each of these users should be set by double clicking on the user in the list.
- P5 server-client authentication
Since the new user management is also used for P5 client/server connections, any P5 clients that your P5 server connects to will also need to have a password set on the client side, and the client connection setting updated on the server.
Login to the P5 admin GUI on each P5 client using the 'admin' user after upgrade. Select 'Agent Setup' from the 'P5' menu and then 'User Preferences' to the left. Set a password for the user used by the server to connect. Update the client settings on the server to use this new password.
2. From version 6 on, the original owners, groups and access permissions are recovered during restore. In comparison, in version 5 the GUI user was entered as owner and groups. (If the GUI user was known as a user on the target system of the restore.)
3. The automatic P5 client update function has been removed. Clients must now be updated manually.
4. The possibility of a specified or dedicated restore path has been removed from the user and client settings. These configuration items have been moved to the group settings.
5. The operating system groups in the login areas and archive plans are created as new groups in P5 during the update. The users already created are assigned to these new groups.
macOS Catalina 10.15
Due to Apple's new privacy restrictions in macOS Catalina 10.15 for files and folders containing personal data, P5 cannot back up some files from apps like Contacts, Photos, and Mail. To allow Archiware P5 to access private data again, please follow the instructions in this Knowledge Base article.
FAQ - Updating to Archiware P5 Version 6.1
What is new in Archiware P5 Version 6.1?
Version 6.1 is an update release. The feature set is identical to Version 6.0 for the most part.
For more information about Version 6.1, please refer to the New Features page.
Important information about platform and module limitations can be found on the Discontinuations page.
Which PresSTORE or Archiware P5 versions can directly update to Version 6.1?
- Only Version 5.x and 6.0 can be updated directly to Version 6.1.
- Version 4.4 needs to be updated to Version 5.1 first.
- For more details, please refer to Upgrade FAQ 5.1.
- Older versions need to be updated to Version 4.4.x. first.
For more details please refer to Upgrade FAQ 4.4.
Note: Support for PresSTORE 4 (P4) backup and archive indexes is discontinued in version P5 5.6 and later.
Who is entitled to an update free of charge?
The update is free of charge for all customers who:
- purchased or registered P5 after January 27th, 2020 or
- had active Software Maintenance on January 28th, 2021.
Validity of the Software Maintenance Agreements can be verified in the Archiware Portal.
How much does it cost to update an installation when Software Maintenance is expired?
Updates are available through the Archiware Software Maintenance. For all licenses that ran out of maintenance, a reactivation of Software Maintenance is possible. It covers two major aspects: access to the latest software version and access to manufacturer support. Prices depend on how long the maintenance is expired:
- Expiration <1 year: 35% of the license price according to the current price list
- Expiration <2 years: 60% of the license price according to the current price list
- Expiration <3 years: 70% of the license price according to the current price list
The reactivated maintenance is valid for 12 months, starting on the 1st of the month following the Archiware invoice date.
For more details about Archiware Software Maintenance & Support please refer to the Maintenance & Support.
Where can I get a quote for reactivation of Archiware Software Maintenance?
Which preparations should be made before the update?
- Make sure you meet the System Requirements.
- Make sure that a required platform or function has not been discontinued.
- Make sure you are eligible for the required license (point 3/4) or request a corresponding quote (point 5).
- Read the Important Notes for information regarding any necessary changes in the affected installations.
- For safety purposes, please make a copy of the installation directory!
Do I need new license keys for the update and where can I get them?
Since the introduction of Version 4.3, the maintenance expiration date is part of the license key. All installations with an up-to-date key and a valid Software Maintenance Agreement do not need a new license key.
Installations without an up-to-date key have to request one through the Archiware Portal.
What are the system requirements for P5 Version 6.1?
On this dedicated page, you will find all information about System Requirements for P5 Version 6.1.
Which features of previous versions are no longer available in P5 Version 6.1?
On this dedicated page, you will find all information about Discontinuations for P5 Version 6.1. Please read the Important Notes for information regarding any necessary changes in the affected installations.
What technical effort is required for the update?
An update from Version 5.x or 6.0 installation is comparable to a new installation.
The installer automatically detects an existing version and executes all necessary changes in the application and its configuration. Please check if it might be necessary to take precautions for a downgrade (see point 13).
For security reasons, please create a copy of your installation directory.
Important Note for updating from 5.2 and previous releases: In some rare cases, a full backup may be necessary for P5 Backup. Therefore, the first backup after the upgrade will require the appropriate amount of time and backup capacity. The reason for this is that any missing drive information is mandatory in Version 6.1.
Do all clients/agents have to be updated to P5 Version 6.1 as well?
Yes, Version 6.1 has to be installed on all servers, workstations and virtual server agents. Please read the Important Notes for information regarding any necessary changes in the affected installations.
Will all my settings remain intact when updating?
Yes, all settings remain intact when installing P5 Version 6.1.
Is it possible to downgrade to a previous version after updating to P5 Version 6.1?
After upgrading from Version 5.5/6, a downgrade back to 5.5/6 is possible with the following limitation:
- All P5 Server and Workstation Agents have to be downgraded as well
After updating from Version 5.1 - 5.4:
For P5 Backup and P5 Archive, a downgrade is not possible.
Note: Please refer to the necessary preparations described in point 6.
In case it is necessary to re-activate Version 5.x, this can only be done through a new installation and a subsequent restore of the configuration from a security copy made previously.
- For P5 Synchronize and P5 Backup2Go, a downgrade back is possible.
- All P5 Server and Workstation Agents have to be downgraded as well.
After upgrading from Version 4.4:
- For P5 Backup and P5 Archive, a downgrade is not possible.
Note: Please refer to the necessary preparations described in point 6.
In case it is necessary to re-activate Version 4.4, this can only be done through a new installation and a subsequent restore of the configuration from a security copy made previously.
Upgrading from Archiware P4
Files stored with P4 can be restored through P5, but only with reduced functionality and without search capabilities.
P5 Backup: After having upgraded to P5 Backup, a full backup run is required.
Please be sure to schedule backup time and capacity accordingly.
P5 Archive: P5 Archive requires a conversion of the P4 archive index. To do so, each archive index has to be converted within the administration section of P5. Depending on the size of the index as well as computing power, this process can take anything between minutes and hours.
For more details, please read the P5 Upgrade Guide.
P5 Version Archive
Information and Downloads for Version 6.1
Information and Downloads for Version 6.0
Information and Downloads for Version 5.6
Information and Downloads for Version 5.5
Information and Downloads for Version 5.4
Information and Downloads for P5 Version 5.3
Information and Downloads for P5 Version 5.2
Information and Downloads for P5 Version 5.1
Version 5.0 is no longer available.
It has been replaced by compulsory upgrade Version 5.1 which is identical in functionality.
Information and Downloads for PresSTORE P4 Version 4.4